The Missouri Bar seeks a versatile communicator to create compelling content and repurpose that content for multiple audiences and platforms aimed at improving the public’s understanding of the legal system. The position focuses primarily on content for the public.
The ideal candidate will be an exceptional writer who thinks creatively to design accompanying visual campaigns that meet brand standards and are compelling for print, the web, and social media. In addition, the position requires someone who is innovative and possesses the ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in managing multiple projects in an organized fashion while collaborating with colleagues and members to achieve the best final work product under deadline. A basic competency in civics is required. A more thorough understanding of the legal system and the rule of law in our society is a definite plus.
- Help guide internal and public information strategies for print, email, web, and social media using discretion and independent judgment
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment in creating written and visual content on an array of legal issues
- Write, repurpose, and manage distribution of content for various audiences (including the public, teachers, the media, and lawyers) across multiple print and new media platforms
- Help seamlessly carry out a diverse array of ongoing, reoccurring, and one-time communications projects, simultaneously and within deadlines
- Collect and distribute stories of interest to The Missouri Bar to support sound news judgment when developing editorial content
- Serve as communications liaison for selected Missouri Bar departments and programs
- Serve as a communications liaison support to other entities including The Missouri Bar Foundation, the Missouri Press-Bar Commission, and the Judicial Performance Review Committee
- Assist with the production of The Missouri Bar’s podcast “Is It Legal To...?” including identifying and booking guests, topic research, coordinating guest commentary elements, review of episode content, design of episode-specific graphics, developing future podcast topics, and promoting episodes via articles and social media content
- Provide updates and help maintain The Missouri Bar’s websites for the public and judicial performance review findings
- Coordinate with volunteers to routinely update resources The Missouri Bar offers to the public, teachers, the media, and lawyers
- Oversee the print and digital content and design production of in-depth materials, including the Disaster Legal Resource Manual, Small Claims Handbook, Media Law Handbook, Senior Citizens Handbook, and others as needed or assigned
- Produce, shoot, and edit video elements for the web and social media while exercising discretion and independent judgment
- Professionally photograph Missouri Bar events, activities, award winners, and other subjects as assigned
- Edit and format content based on style guidelines and assist in developing, maintaining, and enforcing style guidelines
- Ensure strategy and design elements support the organization’s goals and mission
- Consistently measure the success of internal and public information strategies to adapt content and delivery to continually improve upon the organization’s goals
- Provide communications and staff support at events and conferences as assigned
- Assist special committees and other short-term initiatives as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
Key competencies and skills:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work under pressure to handle multiple tasks with frequent deadlines
- Attention to detail and commitment to accuracy
- Make sound judgments and respond appropriately to a high volume of work
- Exhibit tact, diplomacy, and professionalism in communicating with elected and appointed leaders of the organization, members of the bar, judges, and the public
- Copywriting and editing experience using AP style
- Experience with content management systems and familiarity with HTML
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Premiere Pro, or similar design and editing software
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 programs including Word, Excel, Teams, and Planner
- Skilled photographer and videographer
- Successful track record in using analytics and implementing SEO tools
- Comfort with incorporating and managing all social media platforms, including ads and metrics
- Desire and ability to stay fluent in industry news to bring innovative ideas to enhance and improve the organization’s content
- Ongoing commitment to understand and grow with the organization
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, communications, English or related field, or equivalent experience preferred.
Position located in Jefferson City. Some travel is required. Hybrid remote work schedule and excellent benefits. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Apply by sending cover letter, resume, portfolio, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Preference given to applications received by March 20, 2023. Flexible start date of late April or May. EOE
Please note The Missouri Bar helps lawyers find jobs - and employers find lawyers - through Jobs for Missouri Lawyers, a service through our website offered at no cost to lawyers and employers.